RECIPES: Recipe Details
Chesapeake Bay Surf and Turf Burger
Chesapeake Bay locals know that the blue crabs are best in the fall. That's the time to "oscar" your favorite recipes with fat, juicy crab meat. Autumn cookouts on the bay are uniquely local and delicious with this ribeye and crab burger; our version of surf and turf.
1lb. lump crab meat
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
Cream cheese spread:
1 cup whipped cream cheese
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
2 Tbsp. preserved lemon
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 lbs. ground ribeye
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1.5 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
2 filets finely minced anchovie
3 Tbsp. Sutter Home Pinot Noir
12 thick slices of bacon
vegetable oil to brush grill rack
6 round ciabatta rolls, split
6 slices Brie cheese
3 cups radish sprouts
6 slices beefsteak tomatoes
1. preheat grill to medium high
2. To make crab topping: combine crab meat, salt, pepper, juice and zest of lemon, cilantro, tarragon, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and mayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. To make cream cheese spread: combine cream cheese, chives, preserved lemon, and salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready toi use.
4. To make patties: combine ribeye, salt, pepper, mustard, parsley, shallots, garlic, thyme, anchovie, and wine. Gently combine and form 6 equal patties. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Cook bacon in nonreactive frying pan on grill until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserve until ready to use.
6. Brush grill rack with vegetable oil. Place patties on rack, cover and grill, turning once until done to preference, 5-7 minutes on each side for medium.
7. Place equal amount crab topping on each patty after turning.
8. Toast rolls on rack during final few minutes of cooking.
9. Top each patty with 1 slice of cheese during last minute of cooking. Close lid to melt cheese over crab topping.
10. To assemble burgers: place equal amounts of cream cheese spread on roll bottoms. Top each bottom with 1/2 cup radish sprouts, tomatoe slice, patty, 2 slices of bacon. Add roll tops and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
I frequently substitute smoked paprika and cayenne pepper in place of Chesapeake Bay seasoning for a different burst of flavor!