RECIPES: Recipe Details
Black n' Blue Bruschetta Burgers with Grilled Tomatoes
I love blue cheese burgers and bruschetta and while on vacation this summer thought what a delicious burger the two combined would make, and it does!
1 tablespoon Sutter Home White Zinfandel Wine
1 egg beaten
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground basil
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck hamburger
1/3 cup finely chopped onions
1/3 cup Blue Cheese crumbled
6 large tomatoes halved
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil-save half for later use
cooking oil spray
6 sourdough rolls halved
6 slices provolone cheese
optional 6 tablespoons spicy mustard
1. Preheat gas grill to medium heat.
2. While grill preheating in medium size mixing bowl combine wine, egg, pepper, salt, basil, oregano, and mix well.
3. With hands or large fork and large spoon mix in hamburger, onions, and blue cheese, and mix well.
4. Form into 6 patties and place on large cookie sheet.
5. Place tomatoes on plate and sprinkle basil evenly over cut side of tomatoes. Brush bottom of tomatoes with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Save remaining olive oil for later use.
6. Spray cooking oil spray over grill and preheat an additional 2 minutes.
7. While grill continues to preheat rub remaining olive oil over cut side of rolls and place on platter.
8. Place hamburger patties on preheated grill and cook 5-7 minutes on first side, flipping only once.
9. After flipping burgers cook an additional 6-8 minutes. While burgers cooking place tomatoes on grill and cook 3 minutes. Remove to medium size bowl.
9. When burgers almost done place provolone cheese slices on hamburgers and place oiled rolls on grill. Cook until cheese melted. Remove rolls to serving platter and place burgers on open-faced rolls. Gently chop tomatoes and place chopped tomatoes evenly over burgers. May serve spicy mustard for additional condiment. Yields 6 servings.
The patties can be made a day ahead and even frozen for later use. They are great served with spicy mustard if guests would like more condiments.