RECIPES: Recipe Details
Barcelona Burgers with Smoked Paprika-Jabugo Ham Mayonnaise, Valdeon Cheese and Grilled Pineapple
I visited Spain 3 years ago and it absolutely changed my palate! LOVE smoked paprika and all the sausages, hams, and cheeses....so I decided to use my favorites in a burger recipe.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons finely chopped Jubago ham
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 pound ground chuck
4 ounces Spanish chorizo, finely chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
6 fresh pineapple rings, about 1/2 inch thick
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Vegetable oil for brushing grill
6 Kaiser rolls, split, about 5 inch in diameter
6 ounces Valdeon cheese, thinly sliced
1. To make the mayonnaise, combine the mayo, Jubago ham, smoked paprika and vinegar in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. To make the patties, combine the chuck, chorizo, garlic, salt, smoked paprika, and pepper, with your hands, in a large bowl, using a light touch, to combine all ingredients. Separate into 6 equal portions and pat lightly into round patties. Place on baking sheet, cover and set aside.
3. Prepare a medium hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
4. Lay pineapple rings on a layer of paper towels to drain all liquid. Pat tops dry with more paper towels. Sprinkle tops with the brown sugar.
5. When grill is ready, brush grill with a little of the vegetable oil and grill pineapple rings, brown sugar tops down, until slightly caramelized and grill marks are apparent. Remove from grill to work surface and chop into small chunks. Set aside.
6. Brush grill rack again with a little vegetable oil. Place patties on grill, cover, and grill, turning once, until done to preference, 4-5 minutes on each side for medium. During the last few minutes of grilling, place the Kaiser rolls, cut sides down, on the edges of grill to toast lightly.
7. To assemble the burgers, place equal amounts of grilled pineapple chunks on each roll bottom. Top with burger, then equal amounts of the Valdeon cheese. Spread the mayo equally over the bun tops and place over the burger and cheese. Serve.