RECIPES: Recipe Details
All-American Breakfast Burger
Who says burgers are just for lunch or dinner? With this quick and easy breakfast treat, Dad will jump at the chance to make Saturday morning breakfast!
2 pounds ground pork breakfast sausage, maple flavor
Non-stick cooking spray, for coating the skillet
6 large eggs
Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
6 large croissants, split
6 slices American cheese
6 (1/4 – inch thick) large tomato slices
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium high.
2. Form the ground sausage into 6 equal-sized patties. Set aside.
3. When the grill is ready, place a 12-inch fire proof skillet on the grill rack. Spray generously with non-stick cooking spray. When the skillet is hot, crack two eggs into the skillet, keeping them separated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fry eggs until yolks are fully cooked, flipping half way through cooking time. Move cooked eggs to a plate and cover. Repeat process with remaining four eggs.
4. Remove skillet from grill and brush rack with vegetable oil. Place patties on rack and cover. Cook for 4 minutes then turn and grill until and instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit, about 4 minutes longer.
5. During the last 2 minutes of grilling the patties, place the croissants, cut side down on the grill rack to toast.
6. Place one fried egg on top of each patty. Top each egg with one slice of cheese and a slice of tomato.
7. To assemble the breakfast burger, place one patty on each croissant bottom, then add the croissant top. Makes 6 burgers.