Wine Varietal: Merlot
1 1/2 Lbs Ground Chuck
2 Sweet italian sausage links, casings removed
1 .7 oz dry italian salad dressing mix
3 T. Parmesean Cheese, shredded
4 T. Olive oil, divided
1/2 C. Mayonaise
1 clove garlic, pressed through garlic press
1 t. Lemon zest, finely chopped
3 Fresh Basil Leaves, finely chopped
6 Slices fresh mozarella, 1/4 inch thick
12 slices deli pepperoni (approx 3-in diameter)
1 c. purchased sundried tomato pesto
1 1/2 loaves fresh french bread
1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
1 1/2 c. rough choppped arugula
1. Prepare charcoal grill to medium- high heat.
2. Combine beef, sausage, salad dressing mix, parm cheese, and 2 T. of the olive oil. Shape into six patties.
3. Grill on each side for 4 minutes, per side on a covered grill. Then top each burger with two slices of pepperoni and 1 slice of mozzarella cheese. Close lid and cook until cheese has melted. Approx.1-2 minutes. Remove from grill.
4. Cut french bread into six equal pieces. Then cut each piece in half horizontally to form “buns” Drizzle cut sides of bread with remaining 2 T. of olive oil.
5. Place bread on grill cut sides down and toast until lightly browned. approx. 1-2 minutes. Remove from grill..
6. Meanwhile. Combine mayonaise, garlic, pepper, lemon zest, and basil. Refrigerate until ready to use.
7. Assemble burgers. On bottom buns spread sundried tomato pesto, top with burger patty, then arugula and onion. Spread basil mayonaise on top buns and place on top. Serve.