Wine Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
1) 1/2 stick unsalted butter
2) 2 large shallots
3) 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground salt
4) 12 oz. Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon
5) 14 oz. crimini (a.k.a. Italian brown) mushrooms
6) 3 oz. liverwurst
7) 1 Tablespoon Grey Poupon Country Dijon mustard
8) 1 Tablespoon dried chervil leaves
9) 1/2 teaspoon ground Peppercorn Mélange
10) 5 oz. heavy cream
Sir Wellington Burgers:
11) 2 1/2 pounds fresh ground Sirloin (aged Hereford is preferred)
12) 6 Tablespoons Boursin cheese – garlic & fine herbs flavor
13) 12 slices bacon (prefer Wellshire Dry Rubbed Bacon from Trader Joe’s)
• Coarse ground salt (ingredient already listed above)
• Peppercorn Mélange (ingredient already listed above)
14) 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried tarragon leaves
• 1 teaspoon ground Peppercorn Mélange
• 6 oz. Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon
• 1 stick unsalted butter
15) 7 large egg yolks
•Colavita olive oil for grill (doesn’t count as ingredient)
• 1/2 stick melted butter
16) 6 Fresh brioche rolls lightly grill (last minute)
Grill heat should be good and hot. In an anodized aluminum 12-14 inch skillet, melt butter. Peel and dice shallots, add to skillet. Add salt. Cook shallots until translucent. Add Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon. Dice mushrooms; add to shallots and reduce (approx. 25 minutes). Reduce heat to low. Cut liverwurst into small cubes. Mix in liverwurst, mustard, chervil, and ground Peppercorn Mélange. Stir in heavy cream and set aside from heat. Takes about 45 minutes total.
Prep the Sir Wellington:
While the duxelles is reducing, divide ground sirloin into 12 equal portions. Flatten into patties. Divide boursin cheese into 6 equal pieces. Place a piece of cheese onto center of a patty. Top with another patty and seal by pinching the edges. (Burger should be 4.5″ across and about 1″ thick.) Complete remaining patties. Wrap 2 slices of bacon tightly around each burger and secure with 1 toothpick on each side. Salt and pepper both sides to your liking. Refrigerate until 30 minutes before grilling.
Place dried tarragon and ground Peppercorn Mélange in anodized aluminum skillet. Add Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon and reduce on medium-high heat until pan is nearly dry. (Watch that the wine doesn’t burn.) Add a tablespoon of butter to the pan and melt. Stir with metal whisk to loosen up the tarragon. Take pan off heat for 1-2 minutes before adding egg yolks. Quickly whisk in yolks. (Too much heat will scramble the eggs.) Slice remaining butter into several pats, add to yolks, stirring well until incorporated. Set pan away from heat until just before assembling the burgers. Takes about 15 minutes.
Grill the Sir Wellington:
Season the grateand preheat grill to 400 degrees. Grill burgers for 5 minutes each side, flipping only once. (Grill lid should be closed during the grilling process.) Take burgers off grill, and let rest 5 to 7 minutes. While burgers rest, melt butter and brush on the rolls. Warm up duxelles and béarnaise sauce over low heat, stirring béarnaise often. Remove toothpicks from burgers. Lastly, toast rolls on low heat.
Place burgers on bottom half of grilled rolls. Add 1/6th of duxelles to each burger and top with a generous spoonful of béarnaise. Place top of bun on completed burger and cut in half. Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 60 minutes
Grilling Time: 10 minutes