Wine Varietal: White Merlot
This burger utilizes the fruit of the Texas State Tree; the Pecan Tree.This burger is unique in its combination of savory and sweet but will soon be a family favorite. As the subtle crunch of the pecan coating counter-balances the texture of the caramelized apples and onions. This will be as treasured as apple pie!
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cup thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
1 cup thinly sliced white onion
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 pounds ground pork
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground clove
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1 cup chopped green onion
4 cups chopped pecans
Reynolds Wrap Release Non-Stick Foil
6 poppy seed buns, split
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups baby arugula
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium high.
2. When the grill is ready, place a 12-inch fire proof skillet on the grill rack. Add the butter and heat. When the butter is melted, add the apples, onions, and brown sugar. Cook for 15 minutes or until apple and onions are soft, but not mushy; stirring occasionally. Move cooked apple mixture to bowl. Cover and set aside.
3. To prepare patties, combine the pork, cinnamon, cumin, clove, parsley, and green onion in a large mixing bowl. With your hands or a large spoon, gently mix well, handling the meat as little as possible to prevent compacting it. Form six equal-sized patties.
4. Place the pecans in a shallow dish. Coat all sides of each patty with pecans by gently pressing patties into chopped pecans.
5. Remove skillet from grill. When the grill is ready, cover rack with foil, non-stick side up. Place patties on rack and cover. Cook for 5 minutes then turn and grill until and instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit, about 5 minutes longer.
6. During the last 2 minutes of grilling the patties, lightly brush the cut side of the buns with extra virgin olive oil. Place the buns, cut side down on the grill rack to toast lightly.
7. To assemble the burgers, layer the bottom bun with the divided arugula, the patty, and divided apple mixture. Top with bun top. Makes 6 burgers.