Wine Varietal: Merlot
My burger recipe is a tribute to Regional American cooks across this nation.I have developed an incredible burger with layers of flavor and the end result is a celebration of American’s favorite sandwich.
2 tablespoons Colavita Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 medium red onions, sliced
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon Sutter Home Merlot
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 pounds ground beef chuck
2/3 cup prepared sauerkraut, well drained
1/3 cup rye bread crumbs
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
Vegetable oil for brushing on grill rack
2/3 pound pastrami, thinly sliced
6 (1-ounce) slices Swiss cheese
6 brioche or Kaiser buns, split
24 bread & butter pickle chips
6 butter-leaf lettuce leaves
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheaat a gas grill to medium.
2. To make the Caramelized Reds, heat the oil in a large nonstick fireproof skillet on the grill rack or side burner. Add the onions and sprinkle with the sugar. Saute and stir until caramelized, about 12 to 15 minutes; add wine to hydrate. Cover skillet; set aside.
3. To make the topping, in a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, horseradish, chives and salt; set aside and chill.
4. To make the patties, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it; mix well. Form the mixture into 6 equal patties to fit the buns.
5. Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium. Divide the pastrami into 6 equal stacks and top each with a cheese slice. During the last few minutes of grilling, place 1 pastrami-cheese stack on each patty and melt cheese. Place the buns, cut sides down, around the edges of the grill to toast lightly.
6. To assemble the burgers, spread topping on the bottom halves of each bun. Top the bottom halves of the buns with a lettuce leaf; 4 pickle chips, a pastrami-cheese topped patty and caramelized reds. Add the bun tops and serve. Makes 6 burgers