Servings: Makes 12 sliders, for 6 servings
Wine Varietal: Gewurztraminer
These sliders have been a fun addition to our summer luaus. Mahalo!
Spicy Hoisin Spread
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or other Asian hot chile sauce
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup canned water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1/3 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 12 slider buns or small dinner rolls, cut horizontally in half
- Vegetable oil, for oiling the grill rack
- 12 large Bibb, Boston, or iceberg lettuce leaves, trimmed of any thick ribs
To make the spread, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to blend. Cover and refrigerate until assembling the sliders.
To make the patties, mix the panko, water chestnuts, cilantro, green onion, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil in a large bowl until well combined. Add the turkey and gently mix until just blended; do not overmix. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and, using wet hands, shape each portion into a small round patty about 3 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Place the patties on a tray and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the slaw, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and sesame oil in a medium bowl and whisk to blend. Add the onion, carrot, cilantro, and sesame seeds and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until assembling the sliders.
Heat a gas grill to medium-high. Grill the rolls, cut side down, until golden, about 2 minutes. Place on a serving tray and set aside.
Oil the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack and cook until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
To assemble the sliders, spread the tops and bottoms of each bun with a thin amount of the spread. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the spread on the bottom half of each lettuce leaf. Place the patties on the dressed lettuce leaves. Place equal portions of the slaw (about 1 tablespoon) on top of each patty, then fold the lettuce over each patty and topping. Place the wrapped patties on the roll bottoms and cover with the roll tops. Skewer each slider with a long cocktail pick. Place 2 sliders on each of 6 plates and serve.