Wine Varietal: Zinfandel
CHILI VERDE SAUCE
6 fresh tomatillos
6 cloves fresh garlic
½ sm. white onion
1 bunch Cilantro
2 fresh jalapeno peppers medium size
1 -4 oz. can roasted diced green chilies
2 lb ground beef 85% lean
¼ cup green onions (finely chopped)
2 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp Cajun seasoning
1 cup of Chili Verde Sauce (prepared above)
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
½ cup grated carrots
PICO DE GALLO MAYONNASIE
5 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 tsp lime-juice
2 Tbsp Chipotle Pepper Sauce
2 Roma tomatoes (diced small)
¼ cup green onion (finely chopped)
1 sm. fresh jalapeno pepper
Vegetable oil (to oil grill grates before grilling)
6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
6 slices Jalapeno Jack cheese
6 Ciabatta rolls
Preparing the Chili Verde Sauce
1. Remove husks from 6 fresh tomatillos, wash and cut into quarters and place in blender. Add 6 cloves fresh garlic, ½ sm. white onion, 1 bunch cilantro, and 2 fresh jalapeno peppers- medium size (wear gloves to remove seeds & veins) and blend well. Simmer to reduce over medium heat 20-30 minutes. Stir in 1 -4 oz. can of diced green chilies. Separate 1 cup of the Chili Verde Sauce from saucepan to mix into the ground beef; Set aside and chill the remainder of the sauce for basting the burgers on grill.
Preparing the Patties
2. Into 2 lbs ground beef use your hands to gently incorporate ¼ cup finely chopped green onions, 2 tsp salt, ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, ½ tsp Cajun seasoning, the separated 1 cup of Chili Verde Sauce prepared earlier, and ½ cup panko breadcrumbs. Do not over mix.
3. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into square shaped patties, and chill until ready to grill.
Preparing the Slaw
4. Shred 1 cup cabbage and shred 1 cup iceberg lettuce into thin long strips. Grate ½ cup carrots and mix with the cabbage lettuce & lettuce, keep chilled until ready to use.
Preparing the Pico De Gallo Mayonnaise
5. Mix together 5 Tbsp mayonnaise, 2 tsp lime-juice, 2 Tbsp Chipotle Pepper Sauce, 2 Roma tomatoes (diced small), ¼ cup green onions (finely chopped), 1 small jalapeno pepper (diced small, wear gloves to remove seeds, veins and while dicing) then chill.
Cooking the Patties
6. Set your grill to medium-hot direct heat. Place the patties onto a very well oiled grill. Cook burgers for 4 minutes* (for medium-rare – medium) basting with the reserved Chili Verde Sauce. Do not press down on patties. Flip patties and baste second side with Chili Verde Sauce, cooking them for another 4 minutes. Add Monterey Jack followed by Jalapeno Jack Cheese slices atop each patty 1 minute before removing from the grill. Remove the patties from the grill to a platter and cover them with foil to rest, place the Ciabatta Rolls cut side down on grill to toast lightly.
Assembling the Jack Verde Burger
7. Spoon Pico de Gallo mayonnaise on bottom-half of the Ciabatta roll, pile slaw on top of the Pico de Gallo mayonnaise then place the patty, cover with the top half of Ciabatta roll, and serve.
*Cooking time may vary from gas grill or charcoal grill.