Wine Varietal: Zinfandel
I love Asian flavors and anything cooked on the grill. I also like grilled flat breads and pizzas, and liked the Idea of combining all those flavors and ideas.
3 lbs ground beef, at least 20% fat
Juice and zest on one orange
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
3 gloves garlic, finely minced
1 serrano chili, finely minced
½ cup hoisin sauce, divided
3 tsp sesame oil
3 tsp each kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
6 oz shredded fontina cheese
2 cups chopped sweet onion
½ stick butter
½ cup port
¼ cup dijon mustard
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
6 leaves red leaf lettuce
6 slices tomato
2 pounds premade pizza dough
½ cup each black and white Sesame seeds
1 cup Sesame oil
1) Mix the ground beef with the orange zest and juice, ginger, garlic, Serrano chile, ¼ cup hoisin sauce, sesame oil and cilantro. Shape into 12 – ¼ lb patties.
2) Mix the Thai red curry paste and lime juice with the mayonnaise and refrigerate until ready to use.
3) Preheat the grill to medium heat.
4) Place one ounce of the Fontina on 6 of the beef patties and cover with the other 6 patties, sealing the edges with your fingers. Season with the salt and pepper.
5) Melt the butter in a saute pan on the grill, add the onion, and cook until the onions carmelize, about 20 minutes. Add the port and cook until it reduces almost completely. Add the other ¼ cup hoisin sauce and the Dijon mustard, stirring until heated through.
6) Grill the burgers to desired doneness.
7) For the flatbread, dived the dough into six equal pieces. On a floured board, roll out into 5″ by 10″ rectangles, pressing in the sesame seeds. Grill for 3 minutes on each side over medium heat, brushing with the sesame oil at the end.
8) Assemble the burgers: on each bun put the burger, followed by 1/6 on the carmelized onion mixture, red curry mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato.
Makes six servings