RECIPES: Recipe Details
Ocean State Swordfish Burgers with Tangy Apple Tartar Sauce
This swordfish burger with the popular Portuguese sweet roll is a great way to enjoy the wonderful fresh ocean taste making it a perfect local American burger, especially when paired with Sutter Home Chardonnay.
Tangy Apple Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped bread-and-butter pickles
- 1/3 cup chopped tart apple
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds swordfish steaks, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped bread-and-butter pickles
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed, peeled, and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 5 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 6 Portuguese sweet rolls, split
- 2 cups shredded crisp lettuce
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
To make the tartar sauce, combine the mayonnaise, chopped pickles, chopped apple, seasoning, and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
To make the patties, place the chopped fish in a large bowl. Combine the breadcrumbs, corn flakes, pickles, onion, egg, garlic, dill, seasoning, salt, and pepper with the fish. Gently form into 6 patties.
When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, just until opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack until lightly toasted.
To assemble the burgers, place even amounts of the lettuce onto the roll bottoms. Place the patties on the lettuce and top with even amounts of the tartar sauce. Add the roll tops and serve.
With almost 400 miles of tidal coastline one does not have to go far to find superb seafood in Rhode Island. One of the local favorites is fresh swordfish, which is abundant in the summer and fall.
This swordfish burger with the popular Portuguese sweet roll is a great way to enjoy the wonderful fresh ocean taste making it a perfect local American burger, especially when paired with Sutter Home Chardonnay. You will feel like you are on vacation!