Wine Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
I wanted to create a memorably unique textural and taste experience that is completely out of the ordinary.
• 3 egg yolks
• 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• ¼ teaspoon white pepper
• 1 cup Colavita extra virgin olive oil
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons catsup
• 2 tablespoons creamy horseradish
• 2 tablespoons sweet relish
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Spicy Vidalia Onion Rings
• 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Texas Pete preferred)
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon corn starch
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 3 large Vidalia onions (same diameter of patties is ideal), peeled and cut in half, then slice 1/3 inch slices from each half and select the largest ring from each half (select 6 total)
• 1 quart of vegetable oil for deep frying
Baby Bella Mushrooms in Red Wine Reduction
• 1 tablespoon Colavita Extra Virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1/2 cup Spanish onion finely diced
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 2 cups of beef broth
• 4 cups of sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
• 1 cup Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon
Bacon and Spinach Salad
• 4 cups spinach leaves (stems removed)
• 9 thick slices of bacon
• 4 tablespoons reserved from cooked bacon fat
• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• ½ teaspoon sugar
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 ¼ pounds ground chuck (20% fat)
• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 2 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
• 6 Seeded Kaiser rolls, split
• 6 tablespoons of butter
• 3 cups of grated Brie de Meaux cheese (place in freezer for 20 minutes, remove covering, then grate)
To make the Dijon Aioli place the egg yolks, garlic, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a blender. Turn the blender on medium speed and slowly add the oil in a thin steady stream. Then add the lemon juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the Special Sauce, in a mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise, catsup, creamy horseradish, sweet relish and Worcestershire sauce until fully incorporated and smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the Spicy Vidalia Onion Rings, in a large bowl stir the hot sauce into the buttermilk and incorporate the flour, cornstarch, cumin, paprika, and salt. Fill a fireproof skillet half full of the vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Place the onion rings into the milk mixture. Lift the coated onion rings and allow excess milk mixture to drip off. Place the coated rings in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, turning once, and remove to paper towels to drain. Place fried rings on a plate, cover with Reynolds wrap and keep warm until time to serve.
To make the Baby Bellas and red wine reduction, place the oil and butter in a fireproof skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the beef broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms and wine and simmer until the liquid is reduced by at least half, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Cover the pan with Reynolds wrap and keep warm until time to serve.
To make the Bacon and Spinach Salad, rinse the spinach leaves, pat dry and place in a large bowl. In a fireproof skillet fry the bacon slices over medium high heat until crisp and remove to paper towels to drain, then coarsely chop. Reserve 4 tbsp of the bacon grease in the skillet and whisk in the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the chopped bacon and vinaigrette dressing to the spinach and toss. Cover with Reynolds wrap and set aside.
To make the patties, place the meat in a chilled bowl and using two large chilled spoons, gently but thoroughly combine the garlic, salt and pepper with the beef. Divide the meat into 6 equal portions and form into balls. Place the balls between two sheets of wax paper and press firmly (a dinner plate works perfectly) until each patty is the size of a bun slice. Cover with Reynolds wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Heat the grill to medium high. Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare, another minute per side for medium; place one half cup of the grated cheese on each of the patties during the final 2 minutes of grilling. Remove the patties onto a plate and tent with Reynolds wrap to rest for a few minutes while the rolls are toasted. Melt 6 tablespoons butter, lightly spread melted butter on inside of each roll slice and place the buttered rolls, cut side down, on the grill rack to toast lightly for two minutes. Remove the toasted roll slices cut side up to serving plates.
To assemble the burgers, spread 2 tablespoons of the Dijon Aioli on each bottom roll slice and cover with the Bacon and Spinach Salad, place a finished patty on the Salad, place an onion ring on the patty and fill the ring with mushrooms adding 1 tablespoon of the broth and wine reduction. Spread 2 tablespoons of the Special Sauce on the top bun slice and place it over the mushrooms on each burger.
Enjoy a truly different “American Original” burger experience!!
Makes 6 burgers