Wine Varietal: Chenin Blanc
I love shrimp burgers and I love anything with bacon! I’ve revved up my tastebuds by creating a Chipotle shrimp slider with balsamic bacon jam and added extra crunchy potato strings. Take a big bite and you will smile-fugeddaboutit!
2 cups coarsely chopped raw shrimp (about 2 pounds)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup shredded carrots
¼ cup chopped parsley
½ cup chopped white onions
1 cup seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 teaspoon grated ginger
¼ cup Chenin Blanc Sutter Home Wine
2 large eggs slightly beaten
1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
12 slider buns
¼ cup melted butter to brush on buns for toasting
12 pieces of Romaine Lettuce to fit sliders
1 package thin sliced bacon (prefer Oscar Mayer)
½ cup chopped white onions
1 tablespoon Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
2 teaspoons Colavita Balsamic Glaze Sauce
¼ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup honey (prefer Golden Blossom)
CRISPY POTATO STRINGS
1 large potato (3 cups shredded potatoes)
1 ½ cups rice flour
2 cups Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 teaspoon coarse salt
½ teaspoon lime zest
Makes 6 servings or 12 sliders
Prepare bacon jam
1. Preheat outdoor grill to medium high heat. Cut bacon into ½ inch dice and cook in medium size fireproof nonstick skillet until crisp 8-12 minutes. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and drain almost all the bacon drippings leaving 1-2 tablespoons.
2. Return the skillet to the grill and add ½ cup chopped onions, Chipotle Tabasco Pepper Sauce, Colavita Balsamic Glaze Original Sauce, dark brown sugar, honey and crisp bacon. Heat until onions are cooked through and the bacon jam is syrupy about 2-3 minutes and remove from heat into a small bowl.
Fry potato strings
1. Place olive oil in a large fireproof nonstick pot on the grill to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, shred potato into thin strings with a hand mandolin and dredge in rice flour just before frying. Shake off excess flour (strainer works best) and fry potato strings in the hot oil in small batches (so the oil does not bubble over pot) until crisp 5-8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle potato strings with 1 teaspoon salt mixed with 1/2 teaspoon lime zest just before serving on sliders.
Cook and assemble sliders
1. To make the sliders, combine chopped shrimp, chopped celery, shredded carrots, chopped onions, chopped parsley, seasoned Panko breadcrumbs, grated lime zest, lime juice, Chenin Blanc Sutter Home wine, 1 tablespoon Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce, slightly beaten eggs, chopped garlic, grated ginger, 1 ½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Divide the seasoned shrimp mixture into 12 equal portions and form the portions into patties slightly larger than the buns. Refrigerate patties for 15-30 minutes if possible before grilling to firm up.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill on medium high heat. Spray grill rack or grill pan with nonstick spray before using. Cook the shrimp patties turning once about 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked.
3. Brush melted butter on the buns and toast slightly until light golden brown 1-2 minutes.
To assemble the sliders, place a lettuce leaf on the bottom of each bun. Then place the cooked shrimp patties on top of the lettuce. Spoon a generous amount of the bacon jam and place crispy potato strings on top. Add the bun tops and serve. Makes 12 sliders