Wine Varietal: White Merlot
I currently have a Sriracha sauce addiction, adding it to snacks and meals often.I wanted to work it into a burger and this was the result.
2 tablespoons canola oil, plus additional for greasing grill rack
2 yellow onions, quartered and cut into 1/3-inch slices
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup beef broth
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
1 (14 ounce) can Mandarin orange sections, drained and roughly chopped
2 1/2 pounds ground 80/20 chuck
3 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons jarred plum sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon five spice powder
6 Batard rolls or other crusty French-type rolls, split
1 large avocado
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 cup loosely packed cilantro
6 Romaine heart lettuce leaves, approximately same size as rolls
1. Heat a gas grill to medium-high. For Curried-Caramelized Onions, place canola oil in a large, fire-proof skillet and place on grill rack to heat. Add onions and sautÃ© for 5 minutes. Add sugar, 1 teaspoon curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper; sautÃ© for 5 minutes. A 1/4 cup of beef broth to skillet, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits on bottom of pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining teaspoon curry powder and sautÃ© for 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup beef broth, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits on bottom of pan. Transfer skillet to a warming unit set to low or rack on grill to keep warm until ready to use. Alternatively, if grill doesnâ€™t have a warming unit or rack, remove skillet from grill, cover with aluminum foil to keep warm until ready to use. Return grill heat to medium-high.
2. While onions are cooking, make Sriracha-Orange Spread. Place cream cheese, mayonnaise, and Sriracha sauce in a small bowl; stir together until smooth. Add orange sections and stir to combine. Cover and chill until ready to use.
3. For Patties, gently combine chuck, garlic, plum sauce, salt, black pepper, and five spice powder in a large bowl with hands until garlic and spices are mixed through. Form 6 patties in shape of rolls with hands.
4. Brush the grill rack with oil. Place the patties on the grill, cover, and cook for 4 1/2 minutes. With a spatula, turn the patties over, and cook an additional 4 minutes. During the last few minutes of grilling, place rolls on outer edges of grill to lightly toast.
5. In a small bowl, mash together avocado, lime zest, and lime juice with a fork until well combined and relatively smooth.
6. To assemble burgers, spread the Sriracha-Orange Sauce over the cut side of roll tops, and spread the avocado mixture over the cut side of roll bottoms. Layer the bottom rolls with cilantro, lettuce leaves, patties, Curried-Caramelized Onions, and roll tops. Serves 6.