BUILD A BETTER BURGER: Rules
Sutter Home’s Build a Better Burger® Contest 2015 (“Contest”)
- No wine purchase necessary to enter or win
- The Contest is open to U.S. residents, aged twenty-one (21) years or older, except for the following:
*Family members include spouses, parents, siblings, children, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, all lineal descendants, including those by adoption, or any other household member.
- (a) Residents of Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories or possessions;
- (b) Employees or family members* of Sutter Home Winery, Inc. (“Sponsor”);
- (c) Any person or their family members* involved in the screening of Contest’s entries, and/or selection and judging of Contest recipes (“Evaluation Panels”);
- (d) Employees and family members* of any state alcohol beverage commission;
- (e) Any person who:
- (i) holds directly an alcohol beverage license or permit issued by a federal, state, county or local agency; or
- (ii) is employed by, or is an agent of, a company or entity that holds an alcohol beverage license or permit issued by a federal, state, county or local agency; and
- (iii) all family members of such person.
- (f) Employees and family members* of any company involved with the design, production, execution, or distribution of the Contest;
- (g) Any previous Grand Prize Winner or finalist.
- (h) Any person, who has a special relationship with the Sponsor, or who is employed by, or an agent of, a company or entity that does, and all family members* of such person.
- Contest is governed by the federal and state laws of the United States and void where prohibited by law. Any dispute arising from the Contest shall be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of laws rules and the Superior Court located in Napa County, State of California shall have jurisdiction over any action arising from the Contest. With respect to any suit, action or proceeding arising out of or related to this Contest, the parties hereby submit to the jurisdiction and venue of the Superior Court of Napa County, State of California, or to the U.S. District Court-San Francisco.
- The Sponsor retains the discretion to make all decisions regarding the interpretation and application of these Official Rules, including any ambiguities. All decisions of the Sponsor are final and discretionary.
- All burgers must be composed of grilled patties (formed from ground beef or ground alternative foods) prepared on a gas or charcoal grill, served on buns, other bread products, or alternative wrappings such as lettuce, collectively referred to as “Bun”. Be creative! Burgers may include any combination of condiments and toppings. Every component of the burger must be placed inside the Bun or served open-faced on the Bun.
- Each submitted recipe must include the name of the recipe, readily available ingredients (found in most well-stocked supermarkets), standard U.S. measurements, (such as cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, ounces, or pounds; please do not abbreviate), specific amounts for each ingredient (such as number of lettuce leaves or cup measurement of other greens and herbs, or teaspoons of salt and pepper; do not say “to taste” for any ingredient, but list exact amount so reviewers can judge how your burgers will taste), and be written to make six (6) regular-sized burgers or twelve or eighteen (12 or 18) small burgers or "sliders." Each ingredient, including the Bun and all other elements, must be listed, preferably in order of use, followed by complete, step-by-step cooking instructions, including timing and temperature for any cooked components. All recipes must be completely preparable in sixty (60) minutes or less.
- The recipe must be original and not knowingly been previously published or have won another award, and the right to submit the recipe to the Contest must not be restricted in any way. Submission of a recipe is a warranty by the contestant that the contestant owns all copyrights and other intellectual property rights to the recipe and constitutes an assignment of these rights to Sponsor.
- Recipes must be submitted either online OR by mail between March 30, 2015 and September 8, 2015. Early and late entries will not be considered. Each recipe must be submitted by an individual. There is no limit on the number of recipes you may submit.
- To enter online, go to www.sutterhome.com and look for the Contest entry icon. Fill in the entry form, including your original recipe, and follow the on screen directions to submit. Online entries must be submitted between 12:00 PM noon Pacific Time (“PT”) on March 30, 2015 and 12:00 PM noon PT on September 8, 2015.
- To enter by U.S. postal mail, type your name, complete address, and telephone number at the top of an 8 1⁄2 x 11-inch piece of paper (smaller-sized paper or cards will be disqualified). On the same page, type your recipe in accordance with the Contest Guidelines (see above). If necessary, use a second or third page of the same dimensions and staple the pages together (unstapled or paper-clipped recipes will be disqualified). Mail to: BUILD A BETTER BURGER CONTEST 2014, P.O. Box 844, St. Helena, CA 94574. All mail entries must be received via the U.S. Postal Service. All entries must be postmarked no earlier than March 30, 2015 and be received at the mailing address above by September 8, 2015.
- In the case of a dispute as to the identity of the entrant, the entry will be accepted or rejected at the absolute discretion of Sponsor.
SELECTION & JUDGING OF RECIPES
- The following guidelines will be used to select and judge recipes:
- Ease of preparation
- Availability of ingredients
- Phase One: Recipes will be reviewed by Sponsor to ensure adherence to Contest Guidelines and Rules. Recipes that do not adhere to Contest Guidelines and Rules will be disqualified. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to make edits to recipes.
- Phase Two: Recipes passing Phase One will then be reviewed by a panel of judges, which will select the top ten (10) recipes to move onto the semi-finalists round.
- Semi-Finalist Round: A culinary team will prepare the top ten (10) recipes for presentation to a judging team (“Judging Team”) who will taste the burgers to determine the five (5) best recipes (“Potential Winning Recipes”).
- Legal Review Phase: Sponsor will notify the five (5) contestants with the Potential Winning Recipes on or about December 2, 2015 with a request to complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility (“Affidavit”). If Sponsor does not receive the Affidavit by the deadline or, upon review of the Affidavit, the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, determines the contestant is ineligible under the Official Rules of the Contest, he/she will be disqualified and entitled to neither compensation nor prize, and another Potential Winning Recipe will be selected.
- Finalist Round; Once five (5) Potential Winning Recipes clear the Legal Review Phase, they will be posted on the Sutter Home website and/or on Sutter Home’s Facebook page for public voting for the People’s Choice Award. Public voting will take place between April 1, 2016 and April 20, 2016. One vote per person, per email address.
- In all phases of the selection and judging of the Potential Winning Recipes, all decisions of the Sponsor, the Judging Panel and the reviewers are final and binding.
SELECTION OF WINNERS & PRIZES
- On or about May 14, 2016, a culinary team will prepare the five (5) Potential Winning Recipes for the Judging Team, who will select a Grand Prize Winner for the Best Burger, who will receive a cash prize of $25,000 (twenty-five thousand dollars).
- People’s Choice Award – Between April 1, 2016 and April 20, 2016 the public will vote on www.sutterhome.com to choose their favorite burger from the five (5) Potential Winning Recipes. The winner will receive a cash prize of $5,000 (five thousand dollars).
- All Potential Winning Recipes – All Potential Winning Recipes will receive one thousand dollars ($1,000) toward the purchase of Weber® products.
- Total Contest prize awards: $35,000 (thirty five thousand dollars).
The winning recipes and prizes will be announced on Sutter Home’s website and/or Facebook page on or about May 25, 2016.
- No substitution of prizes may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize in whole or in part with another prize of comparable or greater value if the intended prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion.
- Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Finalists will be required to execute documents of eligibility, release from liability, and transfer of their winning recipes. By entering the Contest, all participants consent to the commercial use of their names, pictures, likenesses, recipes (with rights to edit or adapt those recipes) without further attribution, notification or compensation. By entering, participants release and hold harmless Sponsor, its respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, shareholders, employees, and agents, and the members of the panel of judges or Judging Team from any and all liability (including but not limited to claims of infringement of copyright or other intellectual property) or any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won. Sponsor and its agents are not responsible for unauthorized human intervention, phone, technical, network, electronic, computer, hardware or software failures, malfunctions or disconnects of any kind, or misdirected, illegible, incomplete, stolen, garbled, fragmented or delayed internet/e-mail computer transmissions or network/ISP/website internet accessibility; or for inaccurate, incorrect or incomplete capture of entry information.
- To receive Contest rules visit our website at www.sutterhome.com or send a self-addressed, stamped #10 envelope to Sutter Home Winery’s BUILD A BETTER BURGER RULES, P.O. Box 248, St. Helena, CA 94574-0248.
- For the winning recipes, visit our web site at www.sutterhome.com and/or Sutter Home’s Facebook page on or about May 25, 2016. Telephone requests for rules, finalist’s list, and recipes cannot be accommodated.
©2015 Sutter Home Winery, Inc., St. Helena, CA